Ryman Arts application process
EXCITING NEWS! Ryman Arts is now in two locations, at California State University, Fullerton in Orange County and Otis College of Art & Design in Los Angeles. Classes are held on Saturdays at California State University, Fullerton and on Sundays at Otis College of Art & Design. Our program can now serve more students, and students will get the choice of days and locations!
Application to the program is open to all students enrolled in high school grades 9 through 12. The application process is competitive as a limited number of new students can be accommodated each semester. Final selection is made by a committee that reviews the applicant’s drawings, essay and completed application form using multiple criteria, primarily evidence of talent and motivation. Ryman Arts strives to create a diverse class of students from schools throughout southern California.
APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR SPRING 2014 HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO DECEMBER 6.
You can download the application from from this website, or call our offices at (213) 629-2787 if you would like an application mailed to you.
To apply to Ryman Arts, you must submit:
- A completed application form, which includes a nomination from your art teacher or professional artist.
- Two representational pencil drawings drawn from observation on paper between 8.5” x 11” and 18” x 24.”
- A 1-2 page essay describing your reasons for applying to the program and how you intend to benefit from the experience.
Be sure to include your first and last name on all application materials. If you would like it returned, include the correct self-addressed packaging and postage along with your application. Ryman Arts is not responsible for lost or damaged artwork.
You will receive confirmation of the receipt of your application by mail or email shortly after we receive it. You will be informed of your application status within four weeks of the application deadline.
If accepted you will
- Learn foundation drawing and painting skills in rigorous classes to develop your talent
- Work with professional teaching artists in small classes with other serious art students
- Build your portfolio for college applications and exhibit your work publicly
- Explore options for a life in the arts through discussions with guest artists, drawing field trips, and college and career planning workshops
The three and a half hour classes are held on Saturdays at Cal State Fullerton, and Sundays at Otis College of Art and Design in the Westchester neighborhood of Los Angeles, just north of LAX. If accepted, students may attend either the Otis or Cal State Fullerton, not both simultaneously. The 12 week semesters are college level and include extensive drawing homework each week.
If selected, you will receive a full scholarship that covers the cost of instruction, art supplies, field trips and public transportation reimbursement.