OPEN POSITIONS at RYMAN ARTS:
Ryman Arts has several openings for outstanding teaching artists for the fall 2014 semester at our Cal State Fullerton campus. The selected instructors will teach foundation level drawing and/or painting to high school students who have won full scholarships to Ryman Arts. Our program emphasizes skill development in drawing and painting from observation, including color theory and life drawing. This job posting is only for our Fullerton campus.
The Ryman Arts three-course sequential curriculum provides a college-level foundation in drawing and painting. In addition to the studio courses, the program includes college and career guidance and annual student exhibitions. The Foundation, Intermediate and Advanced classes of 12-17 students meet on Saturdays at California State University, Fullerton and Sundays at Otis College of Art and Design in Westchester. Classes are 3 ½ hours long, and meet for 12 weeks.
Ryman Arts has been teaching and mentoring talented teens from throughout Southern California since 1990. Admission is highly selective, and the scholarships cover the cost of instruction, art materials, guest artists and field trips. For more information about Ryman Arts, please visit www.rymanarts.org. This limited-term position pays $50 per hour for instructional time, prep time, and required meetings. Class assignment to be determined, based on enrollment needs.
- Five to ten years’ experience as a studio drawing and painting instructor at the college or advanced high school level. Must have a demonstrated track record of excellence as a studio instructor, specifically in teaching advanced foundation skills of drawing and/or painting.
- Graduate degree in fine arts or art education or equivalent training and experience leading to an understanding of studio art teaching.
- Must have outstanding ability as a mentor and role model to adolescents.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills to be able to work effectively as part of a collegial staff.
- Active as a practicing artist with an ongoing, current exhibition record.
- Able to work on weekends during the semester and occasional weekdays for meetings and related work.
- Bilingual speaking ability in English and Spanish, Chinese or Korean is an asset.
Please send letter of interest, resume, references, examples of your own artwork and samples of your students’ work (if available) via mail or email to:
315 W. Ninth St. #806
Los Angeles, CA 90015-4202
Or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
SITE AND OUTREACH COORDINATOR
Ryman Arts offers its core classes on weekends at its two sites, California State University, Fullerton on Saturdays and Otis College of Art & Design on Sundays. Two 12 week semesters are offered each year. Working under the regular supervision of the Education Manager, the Site and Outreach Coordinator provides support for Ryman Arts classes on site during the weekends, as well as coordinating the outreach efforts to recruit new students for Ryman Arts, keeping records on students and tracking information about both students and schools. Developing strong relationships and fostering excellent service for potential and current Ryman Arts students is a key part of this position.
Principal Responsibilities and Examples of Duties
- Coordinate weekly classes, including the booking of models and guest artists, field trips, keeping student records, and keeping strong communications with liaisons at both sites.
- Coordinate outreach, including making presentations, and booking others to make presentations, at schools and community organizations to recruit students and inform educators about Ryman Arts.
- Collaborate with the Education Manager in programming and events to foster college planning and career preparation with our students and alumni at both the Los Angeles and Orange County sites.
- Oversee classes on site each week at Saturday at the Cal State Fullerton site, or Sundays at Otis, and occasionally both sites on the same weekend.
- Coordinate the admissions process each semester, including processing applications, preparing them for review, and participating in the review process.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in art, education or related area. Studio art background a plus.
- At least 2 years’ experience coordinating events, outreach, or community organizing.
- Experience with student services, or college and career counseling in a school or community organization.
- Excellent organizational skills, detail oriented and ability to track multiple projects. Strong computer skills in email and word processing. Database experience a plus.
- Excellent communication skills, positive conflict resolution and problem solving skills. Able to communicate well to diverse audiences.
- Bilingual speaking ability in English and Spanish, Korean or Chinese is a plus.
- Must have own transportation and ability to travel throughout Orange County and Los Angeles.
The Site and Outreach Coordinator position is a full time, non-exempt position. Hourly rate commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits include employer paid health insurance, paid vacation, holidays and sick time, and eligibility for employer contribution to 403(b) retirement plan.
To apply, submit cover letter and resume by mail or email to:
315 W. Ninth St. Suite 806
Los Angeles, CA 90015
Selected candidates will be contacted for an interview, position is open until filled.
Download PDF of Site and Outreach Coordinator Postition here